Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Lesson in Elocution

Previous to entering my Advanced Word Power class, my elocution lacked certain eloquence. Even though I was quite a loquacious person, I was always the first to offer my benediction; my benevolence was not always well received. I endured harsh obloquies from teachers and magnates regarding my lack of proper diction. These abusive indictments came as an unwelcome surprise that left me feeling very piqued. Instead of receiving beautiful panegyrics, they suggested that I study famous Shakespearean soliloquies in order to increase my fluid articulation. They also advised that I promptly cease using my current vocabulary which was indicative of my vacuous intelligence. Despite my initial aversion to this idea, I surrendered and complied with their demands. In addition to their requests, I began diligently learning the vocabulary provided in my Word Power class. Luckily, after many exhausting nights of studying my efforts paid off. I am now a lucid orator who receives many compliments for my excellent elocution.

Now although this is a fictional story it has its roots in reality. I used to regard many of the advanced vocabulary words in my story at one time to be utter nonsense. However, after learning that most words borrow their roots from either Greek or Latin, it became much easier to uncover their definitions.

Root Words-

*Magn-Gigantic

Magnate: Noun- A person of great influence, or importance in a particular field of business.
Example- Bill Gates is considered a powerful magnate due to his overwhelming success in the computer business.

*Loc/Loq- Talk

Elocution: Noun- A person’s manner of speaking aloud in public.
Example- The young student was complimented on his poised elocution. His confidence when speaking really shone through.

Loquacious: Adjective- Characterized by excessive talk; wordy
Example- Many people at the movie theater found the girls loquacious personality very annoying. How were they supposed to enjoy the movie with her incessant conversation?

Eloquence: Adjective- Characterized by persuasive, powerful, and expressive speaking.
Example- The crowd was inspired by the president’s powerful eloquence. His persuasive speech won him many votes.

Soliloquy: Noun- 1) A dramatic speech in which a character talks to himself or reveals his thoughts alone on stage. 2) The act of speaking to oneself
Example- Every time my English professor recites Hamlet’s famous soliloquy, it is as though he is speaking to himself just as Hamlet was.


Obloquy: Noun- Blame or abusive language aimed at a person, especially by many people or by the general public.
Example-My mother is notorious for her obloquy. She is always yelling at my brother for not cleaning his room.

Bene-Good

Benediction: Noun- A blessing or an expression of good wishes
Example- Catholics from all over the world travel to receive the Pope’s benediction. They believe it will bring good things into their life.

Benevolence: Noun- A desire to do good to/ for others
Example- Oprah’s benevolence inspired her to build schools for underprivileged children in Africa.
Pan-All

Panegyric: Noun- A lofty speech of praise for a person
Example-The beneficiary delivered a beautiful panegyric at the banquet honoring her benefactor for all that he had given her.

Dict- Say or declare

Diction: Noun- Choice of words especially with regard to correctness, clearness, or effectiveness
The public speaking coach emphasized the importance of diction for clarity and effectiveness during a debate.

Indicative: Adjective- (Followed by the word of) - Showing, signifying, suggestive
Example- All of the books in Susie’s room was indicative of her love to read.

*Vac-Empty

Vacuous: Adjective- 1) Emptied of or lacking content 2) marked by lack of ideas or intelligence
Example- Tom’s dumbfounded vacuous expression was indicative of his lack of knowledge.

-Shacaira

No comments:

Post a Comment